To point or indicate the direction, we often use the Arrow symbol. Other than this, we use this symbol to mention the relationship between two things or say what is implied to, etc. There are more than 600 types of arrow symbols used at present. You will find the arrow keys on your PC keyboard. However, the arrow keys are for navigation purposes, and pressing it doesn’t insert the arrow symbol. To type some special characters like square root, heart symbol, etc., on the keyboard requires an additional set of actions to be carried out. With this, you can insert them on your document or the screen. While there are hundreds of arrow keys available, we will see the preliminarily used ones here. So follow along to know “how to type an arrow symbol with the keyboard?“.
How to Type Arrow Symbol with Windows Keyboard?
For Windows Keyboard, we have Alt Codes. We can use Alt code to get the various symbols that aren’t available on the keyboard. It is nothing but Greek or Latin. You will press the concerned set of keys after pressing and holding the Alt keys. We don’t have to search the symbols on the Character set.
- Place the insertion point in the place you would like to type the arrow.
- Then press and hold the Alt Key on your keyboard.
- And now press the key combinations allotted to the Arrow you want to type.
|↔||Left – Right Arrow||29|
|↕||Up to Down Arrow||18|
|↨||Up to Down with base Arrow||23|
|▲||Upwards filled Arrow||30|
|▼||Downwards filled Arrow||31|
|►||Rightwards filled Arrow||16|
|◄||Leftwards filled Arrow||17|
- Now release the Alt Key.
Remember: Alt Code only works on the keyboards with the numeric pad. In the case of a laptop, use Fn+Num Lock Key to unlock the numeric pad. Use the numeric keys one above the alphabets.
Related: Learn to type Euro Symbol on keyboard.
The next way to type an arrow symbol is using Unicode. This code also has Alt key involvement. But we do have small differences.
- Place your insertion point in the place where you are about to insert the arrow symbol.
- Then type the Unicode in the same order.
|↔||Left – Right Arrow||2194|
|↕||Up to Down Arrow||2195|
|↨||Up to Down with base Arrow||21A8|
|▲||Upwards filled Arrow||2BC5|
|▼||Downwards filled Arrow||2BC6|
|►||Rightwards filled Arrow||2BC8|
|◄||Leftwards filled Arrow||2BC7|
- And highlight it or select it.
- Then press and hold the Alt key.
- And then press the X key.
Once you release. the key arrow symbol will appear.
Remember: Unicode only works on the keyboards with the numeric pad. In the case of a laptop, use Fn+Num Lock Key to unlock the numeric pad. Use the numeric keys one above the alphabets.
How to Type Arrow Symbol with Mac Keyboard?
We actually don’t have an Alt code or Unicode for typing the arrow symbol on Mac. The only way is to insert the symbol is from the character pallet. Or you can assign the codes for the Arrow keys.
- Press the Control + Command + Space keys to pull out the character pallet.
- On the left panel, choose the Arrows symbol.
- Surf and select the arrow symbol you want to insert.
- Double click on it to copy it to the clipboard.
- Just copy the arrow symbol you want to insert from the character pallet.
- Then go to System Preferences >> Keyboard.
- Choose the Text tab and click on the Add (+).
- Paste the symbol on the width column.
- Then on the replace column type the concerned key combination.
Whenever you type those combinations, the specified arrow symbol appears.
How to Type Arrow Symbol with Linux Keyboard?
In the case of the Linux Keyboard, there is a certain change in the key combinations. Other than that, the procedure remains the same to type the arrow symbol.
|↑||Upward Arrow||Ctrl + Shift + U => 2191|
|↓||Downward Arrow||Alt + U|
|→||Right Arrow||Alt + I|
|←||Left Arrow||Alt + Y|
- Another option is Compose keys, which you can customize with the desired key combinations.
- Go to System Settings >> Keyboard Settings >> Typing >> Compose.
- Click on the Add icon and then type in the desired combinations.
There are more symbols and shortcuts to know. What is the next symbol you want us to cover? Write to us in the comment section below.