HBO hardly requires an introduction. Earlier HBO had three streaming services that include HBO Now, HBO Go, and HBO Max. Those services hadn’t sustained long. With WarnerMedia’s take over, the streaming service faced lots of changes. Finally, both HBO Now and HBO Go bid adieu with the HBO and the HBO Max availability. Roku is one of the top-selling streaming devices that didn’t get HBO Max. But still, we can download and watch HBO Go content on Roku with the help of HBO. It is officially available on the Roku Channel Store. Besides this, we do have few other ways to watch HBO, like screen mirroring or casting. Follow along to know all of the ways to stream HBO Go on Roku.
Watch HBO Go on Roku
On August 1st, 2020, HBO Go and HBO Now got replaced by HBO and HBO Max. As far as the Roku device is concerned, you have to download the HBO app to stream HBO Go. HBO Max is not an option because it has not yet signed the contract with Roku.
With the HBO app, you can get all the HBO Now contents but not the HBO Go content. To access HBO Go, we don’t have any other option except screen mirroring or casting the HBO Max to Roku. You can follow the steps to screen mirror HBO Max until its official launch on Roku.
Download HBO on Roku
Step 1: Set up your Roku streaming device with your TV. Turn it on and connect it to the internet.
Step 2: Press the home button on Roku remote to get the Roku home screen. Hover to the Streaming channels.
Step 3: Select it and press OK to navigate on the Roku Channel Store.
Step 4: Hover to the Search bar and type HBO. Then choose the HBO app from the list of suggestions.
Step 5: Choose the HBO app, and you get redirected to the App installation page.
Step 6: Click on the Add channel option. It will download and install the application on your Roku.
Step 7: Sign in to your account and enjoy the contents. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the activation by using the activation code.
Related: How to Watch HBO Go on Vizio TV
Watch HBO Max on Roku – Alternative Ways
- Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku. Go to Settings >> System >> Screen Mirror >> Turn it on by choosing either “Prompt” or “Always allow.”
- Now connect your phone and the Roku to the same WiFi network.
- For iOS mobile, you can use the Airplay option. It will let you stream the iPhone content on Roku.
- Download the HBO Max app from App Store.
- Launch the app to start playing the content.
- Launch the Control Center.
- Tap the Airplay icon.
- Choose your Roku device to watch HBO content.
- For an Android phone, you need to use the Settings option to set the screen mirror your mobile to Roku TV.
- Visit Google Play Store to download HBO Max.
- Open the HBO Max app and start streaming.
- Now, go to Android Settings.
- Then choose Connected Devices >> Connection Preferences.
- Enable the Screen mirroring in the three-dotted menu or choose the Cast option.
- Choose the Roku device to start streaming HBO on Roku.
Finally, I guess the negotiation will end soon, and we will get the HBO Max application on the Roku. Until then, we can watch the HBO Go contents in either one of the above-mentioned ways.
Do you still have issues? Let us know in the comment section below, and we will come back with a possible solution. Thank you!