Google Maps is the best navigation app for Android and iOS devices. It acts as a guide and helps users to navigate from one place to another. This service is completely free to use, and it is equipped with several features such as dark mode, satellite view, aerial view, etc. With Google Maps, you can also measure the distance between places. To use Google Maps, you need to enable Location and Internet on your device. Recently, Google Maps announced a new feature called AQI with the update. This AQI feature displays the quality of the air in your region. In addition, you can also check the air quality of other regions using Google Maps.
What is Air Quality Index (AQI)?
AQI is a system that indicates the quality of the air in your surroundings. Generally, the air is polluted by six pollutants such as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, particle pollution, nitrogen dioxide, and ground-level ozone. AQI is calculated based on the average of these pollutants. The results of the AQI are presented in the form of a rating scale (0 to 500). With the latest update of Google Maps, you can easily find the Air Quality Index of your region. The AQI rating scale of Google Maps is listed below.
|Quality of the Air
|0 to 50
|51 to 100
|101 to 200
|201 to 300
|301 to 400
|Very Poor (Very Unhealthy)
|401 and higher
How to Check Air Quality Index(AQI) on Google Maps
You can check the quality of the air on Google Maps using both Android and iOS devices. Google Maps is pre-installed on all Android devices. If you are using an iOS device, download Google Maps from the App Store.
(1) Launch Google Maps on your smartphone.
(2) Make sure to enable the Location from the Settings.
(3) Tap the Layers icon on the map.
(4) Locate and Click the option Air Quality displayed below Map details.
(5) Now, the map monitors the air quality of the region and will display the AQI value along with the colored AQI icon.
(6) Tap the Color icon placed in your location to know about the air quality.
How to Check Air Quality using Google Maps [Other Locations]
1) Unlock your iPhone or Android and launch Google Maps.
(2) Click the Search bar on the map and enter the location where you want to check the AQI.
(3) Select the Layers icon on the map.
(4) Hit the option Air Quality exhibited under the Map details section.
(5) Now, the map will display the AQI results with an index value and colored icon. To know more information about the AQI of the location, tap the color icon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can check Air Quality Index on Google Maps.
The numbers in the Air Quality Index represent the quality of the air. If the index value is below 50, it means that the air is pure and can be respired. If the number is above 400, it indicates that the air is hazardous to the body.
If you are facing this issue, the first thing to do is to update Google Maps to the latest version. After updating the app, you will be able to see the Air Quality feature on Google Maps.