Following Android and iOS, Windows 10 has also come up with the exciting Dark mode theme for the device. Windows 10 is the most predominantly used OS for PCs. Dark mode will make your bright white screen a little dull or lighter. You cannot enable a system-wide dark mode on Windows 10 as this feature differs for each and every application. You can still enable dark mode on Windows 10 along with the supporting apps.
Reasons to go for Dark mode
- The dark mode is launched to reduce the eye irritation of users during dark nights.
- Simultaneously, it alleviates the Bluelight emission.
- It does increase the battery standing on your device as it consumes 60% less energy.
- Moreover, reduced brightness will let you sleep peacefully at night.
- and most importantly, it looks cool.
How to Enable Dark mode on Windows 10?
You can enable a system-wide dark mode or you can set dark mode individually for each application.
- Enable Dark mode on Windows 10
- Change Desktop to Dark mode
- Change accent and taskbar color
- Turn on Dark mode on File explorer and Control panel
- Turn On dark mode Microsoft Edge and other browsers
- Dark mode On Microsoft Office
Enable Dark mode on Windows 10
This is the system-wide dark mode and you can easily enable it from the settings.
1. Click on the “Start” icon or press the Windows button on your keyboard.
2. Now choose Settings on the menu and navigate to the settings window. You can also press Windows + I to open settings.
3. On the settings screen, choose Personalization.
4. On the left panel, choose the colors tab.
5. You will find Choose your Color option. Click on it and choose “Dark”.
Note: You can also choose “Custom” and set dark mode only for default Windows mode or for default app mode.
This will set the entire Windows UI to dark mode.
Change Desktop background to Dark mode
This method will help you to change the desktop background to a dark theme.
1. Go to Settings by pressing Windows + I.
2. Settings >> Personalization >> Background on the left panel.
3. Select Solid Color from the drop-down and the black color from the “Choose your background option.”
The entire desktop background will turn black.
Change accent and taskbar color
This will change the accent and taskbar color to dark mode.
- Go to Settings >> Personalisation >> Colors.
2. Now under “Choose Your Accent Colour” select the dark grey color.
3. You can also enable the radio buttons under “Show Accent colors on the following surface” as per your convenience.
Turn on Dark mode on File explorer and Control panel
By default, if you choose the color as “Dark” under Settings -> Personalization -> Color. The File Explorer and Control panel will automatically change to dark mode.
If you choose it as Custom, then follow the below steps:
1. Traverse to the Settings >> Personalization >> Colors.
2. Change the theme of Choose your default app mode to Dark from light.
This will change all the default apps to dark colors including the control panel and file explorer.
On Microsoft Edge and other browsers
This method works on all browser if it supports dark mode.
1. Open the browser app.
2. On the menu, choose settings.
3. Under “Choose a theme“, select dark.
Dark mode On Microsoft Office on Windows
This will turn on dark mode on any office products like Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook and others on your Windows PC.
1. Open any Office suite app.
2. Go to file >> Account.
3. Under the office theme drop-down. choose dark grey or black.
With the above methods, you can enable dark mode on your Windows 10 laptops and desktops. With dark mode on Windows, you can use your PC without any eye strains. If you have any queries, ask us in the comment section below.