Inserting symbols and special characters are difficult in PC keyboards. In smartphones, you will have a separate keyboard for symbols and special characters. PC keyboards have only a few keys. You need to use specific keyboard shortcuts to insert symbols and special characters. In this guide, we will be sharing the shortcut key to insert the division symbol on the keyboard.
In usual practice, there are two division symbols. The slash symbol (/) and the mathematical division symbol (÷). The former is a common one and available in every PC keyboard and for the latter one, you need to use alt codes.
Insert Division Symbol on Keyboard: Slash Symbol (/)
(1) Place the cursor where you want to enter the division symbol.
(2) Search for the symbol. Generally, the division symbol will be found next to the right Shift button. If your keyboard has a dedicated Numpad, the symbol will be found next to the Num Lock button.
(3) Press the button, the division symbol will appear.
Insert Division Symbol on Keyboard: Mathematical Symbol (÷)
(1) Place the cursor where you want to insert the mathematical division symbol.
(2) Turn on the Num Lock on your keyboard.
(3) Press the key combination Alt + 0247.
(4) The division symbol will appear on your file.
Related: How to insert Euro Symbol on Keyboard?
Insert Division Symbol on Keyboard: Mathematical Symbol (÷) on Mac
In some Macbooks, the Alt codes won’t work. If that’s the case, use the below steps.
(1) Make sure to place the cursor where you want to enter the division symbol.
(2) Press the key combination Option + /. The division symbol (÷) will appear on your file.
These are the different ways that you can enter the division symbol on your PC keyboard. Hereafter, don’t waste the precious time in copy-pasting the division symbol from webpages and insert them in your work Memorize the Alt codes and use it whenever it is needed. If you want to know the alt code for any other special character, tell us in the comments section.