Chromium by Google is an open-source web browser. As the name goes, it mimics a lot of features as that of Chrome. It was launched as a legitimate browser and later found to be malicious. Later, hackers and hijackers have used its open-source nature and customized the Chromium code. It, therefore, resulted in the development of Chromium malware. With this, it is clear that using Chromium isn’t a safer option. It will direct you to some fake sponsored search results at times. Also, there is a high chance for your private data to be stolen, or Chromium can control your apps and extensions. Upon considering all these disadvantages, it is better to delete Chromium. If you are looking for guidelines to remove Chromium from your devices, then read the section below.
How to Identify If a Device has Chromium?
There are a few points that you can check on your device to confirm the existence of the Chromium virus or malware.
- Performance glitch in your desktop or laptop with high CPU space utilized
- The web browser on your PC shows a different home screen
- Gets prompted with an increased number of advertisements
- The browser will show you irrelevant search results
- The search portal page will change whenever you open a new tab
- Change in your default browser on your device
- PC limits your access to installed app or software programs
How Does Chromium get into PC or Desktop?
These are the possible ways in which Chromium Virus might get into your desktop or laptop.
- A fake alert prompts you to update software or browser
- A file gets downloaded from a malicious website
- Freeware or shareware bundled secretly on the downloaded file
- An unknown or malicious email attachment
How to Remove Chromium?
The procedure given below is all you need to remove or delete Chromium from different devices.
Delete Chromium on Windows PC
If you want to remove or uninstall Chromium from your Windows OS, then here are the steps.
1. Initially, click on the Search bar on the taskbar to type in as Control Panel to open it.
2. Navigate to select the Programs option from the list.
3. Choose Programs and Features to proceed.
4. Check for any malicious app and right-click on it to choose the Uninstall option.
5. Wait for few minutes to let the app get removed from your Windows PC.
6. Follow the same steps to uninstall any other suspicious files.
Alternative: Press Start button > Settings icon > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Uninstall Chromium.
Related: You shall click the link to learn other methods to uninstall Chromium on Windows 10.
Try This Way!
If you can’t uninstall Chromium, you should try either of the methods given below to delete it.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on your Windows keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Highlight any of the programs and press the Delete button. Otherwise, right-click the process to choose End Task.
- If that seems not to work, then go to Settings on Windows PC to choose Apps.
- On the Apps & Features screen, choose the malicious app, and select Uninstall.
- Press Win+R keys simultaneously, and it will open the Run command.
- Type as %appdata% and press the Enter key.
- On the AppData Roaming folder, look for the Chromium folder and delete it.
- Similarly, to delete it from the local folder, press Win+R to type in the run command as %localappdata%.
Remove Chromium on Mac
Check if Chromium is available on your macOS and remove it with the steps below.
1. On your Mac PC, open Finder by navigating to the bottom left portion of your screen.
2. Select the Applications option from the left panel.
3. Now, locate the Chromium app with the help of the Search option.
4. Just drag it to the Trash Bin available at the bottom right side.
5. Finally, right-click the Trash icon and choose Empty Trash to remove Chromium from macOS.
Delete Chromium from Browsers
The below section covers the steps to remove Chromium from different browsers in brief.
Uninstall Chromium from Chrome
Here are the steps you should carry out to remove Chromium from Google Chrome.
1. On your Chrome browser, navigate to select the Menu icon.
2. Choose More Tools and then select the Extensions option.
3. Check for any suspicious add-ons or extensions and select Remove.
Remove Chromium from Firefox
If you want to remove the Chromium from the Mozilla Firefox browser, then he goes the steps.
1. Launch Firefox and select Menu from the top-right corner of the screen.
2. Select the Add-ons option and click on Extensions.
2. Select the Add-ons option and click on Extensions.
3. Click on any recently installed infected plugins to remove them.
Delete Chromium from Safari
The procedure given below will help you remove Chromium or any other malware from Safari.
1. Open the Safari web browser on Mac and click on the Preferences option.
2. Select the Extensions option to choose suspicious malware.
3. Click Uninstall to remove it from macOS.
Remove Chromium from IE
You shall delete the Chromium malware from Internet Explorer with the below steps.
1. On the IE browser, select the Gear icon from the top right corner.
2. Choose the Manage Add-ons option.
3. Look for any extensions or add-ons and select them.
4. Click the Remove button to delete it.
That was all the possible built-in ways in which you can remove Chromium malware from your device. In addition to this, you shall delete Chromium or any other suspicious files by scanning the device using any Antivirus software. We think this section is useful for you. For any clarifications, reach us through comments.