There are multiple ways available to reset the Garmin watch to factory settings. You can choose the method that suits you depending on the condition of your smartwatch. Garmin smartwatches run on an OS called Garmin OS. It has plenty of features in it and you can use this watch to perform a lot of activities. All smart devices sometimes tend to behave slower or might not respond. If your Garmin watch is performing slowly or not responding, then try to restart your Garmin Watch. If the issue is not fixed, then you can reset your Gramin Watch to fix any critical issues.
Reasons to Reset Garmin Watch
Here are some of the main reasons to reset your Garmin Watch:
- If the device is frozen or not responding.
- When the device is not turning on.
- If there are too many apps installed and the watch is responding very slowly.
- Connectivity issues.
- If you feel like restoring it to the default settings
Things to Consider Before Resetting
- Resetting the Garmin watch will permanently remove activity history, courses, waypoints, routes, tracks, and more.
- It will also remove all your data and customized settings.
- It will remove all the apps that you have installed.
- Take a backup of data and restore it after resetting.
Tip! Before the reset, update the Gamin Watch to the latest version (if available). It may clear the basic issues.
How to Reset Garmin Watch?
If you want to reset your Garmin watch, then follow the below-mentioned steps:
Keep your Garmin watch turned off and proceed with the steps given below to master reset it. To turn off the watch, press and hold the Light key.
Important Note: In addition to the outdoor watches, this method will work on Garmin Forerunner models like 735, 645, 935, etc. Also, it works on Garmin Fenix 3, 5, 5s, 5x, etc.
1. Press and hold the Back or Lap button.
2. While still holding the button, power on your watch.
3. When you get a Clear user data message, gently release your fingers from the Back or Lap button.
4. Tap on Yes to master reset the Garmin outdoor watches.
5. When the reset is successful, the watch will power on and get into the setup process.
Note: Try the procedure once again if the Garmin watch doesn’t turn on. If the master reset doesn’t work, then proceed with the Secondary Master reset.
Secondary Master Reset
Like the previous method, you should turn off the Garmin watch to proceed with the following steps.
1. Press and hold the Down, Start, and Back buttons.
2. Turn on the watch while still pressing those buttons.
3. When you get the first beep, release the Start button alone.
4. Release the other buttons once you hear the second beep.
Alternative Method to Reset Garmin Watch
If you have synced the Garmin Watch with the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone, you can reset it from within the app.
For Forerunner Models
1. From the apps column, click on the Garmin Connect app to launch it on your smartphone.
2. Navigate to select the Options menu and tap on the Settings option.
3. On the menu list, choose System to proceed.
4. Click on the Restore Defaults option.
5. Choose Yes to confirm your action.
6. With this, your Garmin Forerunner watch will begin to delete the data and restore it to factory default settings.
On Garmin Fenix Models
1. On your Fenix watches, select the Settings option on the Home menu.
2. Select the System menu and click on it.
3. Choose the Restore Defaults option.
4. With this, your Fenix watch will restore to factory default settings.
The above are different ways to reset the Garmin smartwatch. You can choose the method that suits the model of your smartwatch.
If you forget your password, then you can reset it by connecting your watch to a computer using the Garmin Connect or Express app. You will be asked to reset your password in the app.
A factory reset once done cannot be undone. Take all necessary backups before resetting your watch.