VPN is a powerful tool that can keep your privacy at the highest confidentiality. You can easily access the VPN from anywhere and anytime, only if you have the right server. VPN helps you mask your identity by creating an encrypted connection to the internet and hiding your location, so you stay untraceable.
I don’t know if you are aware that Windows also has built-in VPN settings where you have to only enter your VPN details, and Windows will automatically connect you to the internet on your laptop or desktop monitor. Not every Windows has this VPN feature inbuilt; only Windows 10 can offer that.
So, if you are using Windows 10 and curious to know how to connect or set up a VPN manually on Windows 10, then you have visited the right website.
Here, I will give you an overview of the steps that will help you connect the VPN easily on your Windows 10 Operating system.
Why is connecting to a VPN on Windows 10 useful?
Using VPN on Windows 10 is always a better idea because Windows is a much-protected VPN provider that will keep your everyday work or private activities are hidden with utmost privacy. Besides, Windows connects you to the desired VPN server automatically, so you don’t have to manually turn on the VPN server every time. With Windows built-in VPN services, you can connect to multiple private networks with guaranteed security.
Some of the reasons why you should use VPN on Windows 10 are as follows;
- High-end data encryption for your device from cybercriminals and hackers.
- It hides your actual location as well as your device’s IP address, so you are untraceable.
- Rapidly increasing the speed of the server connection.
- Bypassing regional barriers and having access to social media networks or platforms that you are not allowed to use in your location.
- Highly secure use of public networks.
Note: With that said, if you’re planning to get a VPN connection on your Windows 10, the right time to get a new subscription is during the Black Friday deals. So check out the latest VPN Black Friday Sale deals now.
Which VPN software is safe to use on Windows 10?
There is multiple software that will give you undoubted protection, but the most reliable is ExpressVPN. You can easily install them on your Windows operating system. Get the best deals on ExpressVPN now!
This will be a detailed step-by-step guide, so try to be attentive throughout the article.
Step 1: Enter VPN Login Credentials
- Before you set up a VPN on Windows 10, you first have to know the correct login details. If you don’t put the correct details, you will not be able to access the VPN server.
- This will also depend on whether you’re using it for private purposes or professional purposes. If you need to use a VPN at work, you will have to ask for correct VPN login details to your supervisors, but if you wish to use VPN on your own laptop or monitor with Windows 10, then you will have to get the details yourself.
- You might have created those details while signing in to an account.
- The details that are needed to log in are Username, Password, and certainly a server address you wish to connect to.
- If you don’t have a VPN account yet and are willing to use VPN to encrypt internet connections, then try using CyberGhost. This is a paid tool; thus, you can trust their security services.
Step 2: Go to VPN Settings in Windows
- Before installing a VPN on Windows 10, make sure you have agreed on Windows administration rights.
- Usually, if you are a single user of the computer or laptop, you will automatically have these rights, but if you have multiple users on your laptop, then you might have to check for Windows administration rights.
- Now that you are sure you have agreed and accepted Windows terms & conditions. Go to the Start menu on Windows.
- Click on Settings.
- Under Settings, choose the Network and Internet option.
- Select the VPN option from the menu.
- Now that you have found a VPN option location, you can proceed to the next step, i.e., adding a VPN connection.
Step 3: Add a VPN connection
- Click on the VPN option and select the button “Add a VPN connection.”
- Then you will be taken to a new page having VPN provider details. You have to enter the VPN provider details you wish to connect to. Usually, you can connect to other VPN providers as well, but here we are focusing on built-in Windows VPN. The VPN provider here will be Windows(Built-in).
- Create a connection name of your choice. But, if you want to use a VPN for work-related matters, then you can also select the VPN connection work option.
- Enter the IP address or URL of the VPN server you wish to connect to under the Server name or address box.
- For VPN Type- you can select the Automatic option only.
- Under Type of Sign-in info, you can enter your username and password, which you already created while signing in to your VPN account.
Note: When you enter your login details, a message will pop up for remembering your sign-in info. Make sure you don’t select yes if it’s a public or work laptop.
Step 4: Connect to the VPN server
- Now that you have added VPN server details, you can go back to the Settings menu.
- In the VPN option, you will now see a drop-down option where your VPN server is added.
- Click on it and connect.
- Now your connection to the desired VPN server is successful.
Step 5: Additional Settings
- Once you have connected to the VPN server, you will see Advanced options.
- Go to the Advanced option and set up a proxy server.
- Go for advanced settings only if it’s necessary. If the work you are doing is highly privileged, only then do advanced settings; otherwise, don’t.
I hope this guide was helpful for you to understand how to set up a VPN on Windows 10. If you don’t have a VPN account yet, do it now and connect it via Windows 10 to get the highest security on your activities.