Mi TV Box is a great device to convert your normal TV into an Android-powered Smart TV. Like Android mobiles and tablets, it comes with an app store to download all popular apps. But, it lacks support to a few apps like Google Chrome, Tubemate, VPN apps, and more. In that case, the sideloading technique to install those apps. Sideloading is nothing but the process of installing the apps that aren’t authorized by the official app store. On Mi TV Box, you can sideload or download unsupported apps in many ways. But, we will show you the top 2 and easiest ways.
- Using the downloader app
- Using USB flash drive
Hint – The following guide is also applicable for Mi TVs and other types of Android TV Boxes as well.
Enabling Unknown Sources
Regardless of the sideloading tool, you need to grant permission on your Mi Box to install apps from third-party sources.
1. Tap the settings icon located at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Scroll down and click Security & restrictions.
3. Click Unknown Sources.
4. Select the app that you’re using to sideload third-party apps. Since we’re using a downloader in this guide, scroll down to downloader and toggle the slider located next to it.
Method 1: Sideload Apps on Mi TV Box using Downloader
For this method, you need to install the Downloader app on your Mi Box. The downloader is widely on Android TV boxes and Firestick devices to download the apps that are officially not supported.
Head to the Google Play Store on your Mi TV Box, search for the Downloader app, and install it.
1. Launch the Downloader app. Upon launching the app for the first time, you need to allow few permissions.
2. When you see the home screen, navigate to the URL bar.
3. Enter the required source URL to download the app that you want.
4. Click Go. Ensure that the URL points directly to an installer (.apk) file instead of the web page.
5. The installer file will download on your TV.
6. Once downloaded, click Install and then wait for the app to install it on your TV.
Apart from downloader, you can also use other sideloading tools like
- ES File Explorer
- Aptoide TV
Method 2: Sideload Apps on Mi Box using USB Flash Drive
Using a USB flash drive is another reliable method to sideload apps on Mi Box.
1. On your PC or laptop, download the required apk file for your app.
2. Connect the USB flash drive to your PC/laptop. Copy the downloaded file on the USB device.
3. Now, remove the USB drive from your PC and connect it to the USB port of Mi TV Box.
4. Open file manager and navigate to the location where you have stored the installer file.
If you don’t have a file manager on the Mi TV box, download a new one from the Play Store.
5. Click the installer file and select Install.
Have you managed to sideload apps on Mi TV Box? Use the comments section to mention all your feedback and queries.