The Accent letter is used to indicate a particular pronunciation. The accent letters have Diacritical marks above or below. Each language has its own accent letters. If you are learning French or if you are a native french speaker, you might be familiar with French accents. The most commonly used French accents are Aigu, Grave, Circonflexe, Cédille, and Tréma. Each accent type is used in different cases. You can easily type French accents on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac without installing any keyboard software.
How to Type French Accents on Windows PC
In Windows, you can enter the French accents in three different ways. They are listed below.
1. Alt Codes:
There are plenty of French accent letters available. The most common accent letters are given below. Press the Alt key and type the numbers on your Num pad to type the French accent letters.
|French Accent Type||Character||Shortcut Key (lower case)||Shortcut Key (upper case)|
|Accent aigu (acute)||é É||Alt+0233||Alt+0201|
|Accent grave (A)||à À||Alt+0224||Alt+0192|
|Accent grave (E)||è È||Alt+0232||Alt+0200|
|Accent grave (U)||ù Ù||Alt-0249||Alt-0217|
|Accent circonflexe (A)||â Â||Alt+0226||Alt+0194|
|Accent circonflexe (E)||ê Ê||Alt+0234||Alt+0202|
|Accent circonflexe (I)||î Î||Alt-0238||Alt-0206|
|Accent circonflexe (O)||ô Ô||Alt-0244||Alt-0212|
|Accent circonflexe (U)||û Û||Alt-0251||Alt-0219|
|Tréma (E)||ë Ë||Alt-0235||Alt-0203|
|Tréma (I)||ï Ï||Alt-0239||Alt-0207|
|Cédille (C)||ç Ç||Alt-0231||Alt-0199|
2. Character Map
The Character Map is the easiest way to enter the French accent letters.
(1) Click on the Search icon on the taskbar and search for the Character Map.
(2) Open the Character Map on your Windows PC.
(3) Select your desired font and double-click the Accent letter you want to add.
(4) The accent letter will appear on the Characters to Copy box.
(5) Click the Copy to copy the letter to your clipboard.
(6) Place the cursor where you wish to enter the letter and paste it.
3. Symbols Dialog Box
You can add the French accents in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, or Powerpoint using the Symbols option.
(1) Open the Microsoft Word, Excel, or Powerpoint on your PC.
(2) Click on the Insert tab at the menu bar.
(3) Next, select the Symbol option.
(4) Click on the option More Symbols to view all the symbols.
(5) In the Subset field, select Latin-1 Supplement.
(6) Now, you will see different types of French accent letters.
(7) Select a French accent letter to add and tap the option Insert.
How to Type French Accents on Mac
You can add French accent letters on Mac using the shortcut keys or the Character Viewer.
1. Using Shortcut Keys
One of the easiest ways to type French accent letters is by using the shortcut keys. If you want to type e accented letter, press the Option key and type the alphabet or punctuation key at the same time. Then, release the keys and press the E key to type accented E. You can make use of the below table and type French accent letters at ease.
|French Accent||Character||Shortcut Key|
|aigu||é||Option + E|
|grave||à, è, ù||Option + ` and followed by the letter|
|circonflèxe||â, ê, î, ô, û||Option + I and type the required letter|
|Trëma||ë, ï, ü||Option+ u, followed by the letter|
|Cédille||ç||Option + C|
2. Character Viewer
(1) Place the cursor where you want to enter the letter
(2) Press the Control+Command+Spacebar keys simultaneously on your Mac to open the Character Viewer.
(3) Open the Character Viewer.
(4) Now, click the Latin option on the menu bar.
(5) Select an accent character to add and tap Done.
How to Type French Accents on Smartphone (Android and iOS)
(1) Place the cursor where you need to enter the accented letter.
(2) Open the virtual keyboard.
(3) Touch and hold a letter. Now, you will see the accented letters of the particular alphabet. Drag and select the one you want to add to the document or message.
Related Accent Letter Articles:
- How to Type O with Accent
- How to Type n with Accent
- How to Type U with Accent
- How to Type I with Accent
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use the Character Map or Character Viewer to enter French accent letters on Windows or Mac.
Yes. By using shortcut keys, you can type an accented letter.
To enter the French accents on word,
Click Insert tab >> Symbol >> More Symbols >> Latin-1 Supplement on the subset field >> Select an accent letter >> Tap Insert.