Stack Overflow is a web-based knowledge-sharing platform that has answers for all your program-related doubts. You can filter the answers to your question based on upvotes and downvotes. It is mostly used by IT professionals and developers. If you are a frequent user of Stack Overflow or if you are using Stack Overflow for a prolonged time, your eyes may strain due to the bright light, and you might face difficulty in reading. To solve these kinds of problems, you need to enable the dark theme on Stack Overflow. The dark mode reduces the eye strain and slightly improves the battery life of the device. You can easily activate Stack Overflow dark mode on the official website or by using an extension.
How to Activate Dark Mode on Stack Overflow
(1) Open any browser on your Mac or Windows PC.
(2) Go to the official Stack Overflow website.
(3) Click the Log In button and sign in to your account.
(4) Tap the Profile image displayed at the top.
(5) Locate and tap the option Edit profile and settings.
(6) Select the option Preferences exhibited under the Site Settings heading.
(7) Now, you will see three types of themes on the screen. Navigate to the Dark theme and select it.
(8) That’s it. Now, you can use Stack Overflow in the dark theme.
Alternate Way to Enable Dark Mode on Stack Overflow
You can also use browser extensions to turn ON the dark theme on Stack Overflow.
(1) Open Google Chrome on your PC.
(2) Visit the Chrome web store and search for any Dark Mode extension. The popular dark mode extensions for Chrome browser are Dark mode and Turn Off the Lights.
Note: You can also enable dark mode on Chrome to use Stack Overflow in dark mode.
(3) Tap the Add to Chrome button to install the extension.
(4) Now, navigate to Stack Overflow and log in to your account.
(5) Tap the Dark Mode extension icon in the Chrome toolbar.
(6) Now, the dark mode will be enabled for the entire browser.
(7) To turn it Off, tap the extension icon again.
Other Dark Mode Guides:
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can enable the dark theme in the Edit profile and settings section of your Stack Overflow account.
To turn Off the dark theme on Stack Overflow, click the Profile thumbnail >> Edit profile and settings >> Preferences >> Theme >> Select Light.
Yes. Dark mode extensions are completely safe to use.