WinZip tops the list when in case of compressing files or reading the compressed files. It is the most used tool to create compressed files in Zip formats. Also, it can open or decompress files in any compressed format. WinZip does provide various file management functions. But then, we don’t have any shortage of software that offers WinZip features or more of it. Moreover, WinZip is not free, and it demands payment after 45 days of a free trial. Considering this and various other reasons, you may look for better replacements. And this article discusses the best WinZip alternatives that you can make use of.
The Best WinZip Alternatives
The following is the list of the best WinZip alternatives that are most used. All its features, pros, and cons are discussed in brief.
6. Ashampoo ZIP
8. B1 Free Archiver
11. Extract Now
12. Hamster Zip Archiver
13. Solid Explorer
15. Zip Extractor
16. CAM UnZip
17. The Unarchiver
18. NX Power Lite Desktop
Popular Best WinZip Alternatives
It is one of the easiest software for compressing and decompressing files and comes with an inbuilt file manager to locate and extract archives.
Open: 001, 002, etc, 7Z, ARJ, BZ2, BZIP2, CAB, CHM, CHW, CPIO, CRAMFS, DEB, DMG, DOC, EXE, FAT, GZ, GZIP, HFS, HXS, ISO, LHA, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NTFS, PPT, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SQUASHFS, SWM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, VDI, VDMK, VHD, WIM, XAR, XLS, XZ, Z01, Z02 etc., Z, ZIP and ZIPX.
Compress: 7Z, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, WIM, XZ, and ZIP.
- The app integrates with the Windows menu, and it does support encryption while creating new archives. It works with 30+ file formats.
- No need to install extra software installed and there is no need for registration. Moreover, the software is highly customizable. And it is free.
- It got its own 7Z format and provided an impressive compression ratio, i.e., 2-10% higher than the WinZip. 7-ZIP comes with strong AES-256 encryption.
- It supports both the GUI and command-line interface. Frequent updates would fix the issues and bugs in the previous version.
There is no portable option available from the developer. It’s compression and decompression speed could be faster. The interface may confuse the new users.
The best WinZip Alternatives include WinRAR. It is the most popular one and used by many. WinRAR is really a strong competitor for WinZip.
Open: 7Z, ARJ, CAB, LZH, TAR, ACE, UUE, GZIP, JA, BZ2, JAR, ISO, XZ, Z.
Compress: ZIP and RAR
Cost: For Single User: $29, and it goes further down per user when the number of users increases.
- The software offers a plethora of configuration settings for creating the archives. It maintains NTFS Security settings and spanning multiple archives.
- The software is very intuitive and easier to use. The UI is so straightforward, and you can jump right and use the functions.
- It can also assist you in various tasks, from creating or scanning to reading any compressed files. WinRAR is beneficial for both new and experienced users.
- It has got an innovative feature with which you can save a set of archival settings as Profiles. And you can apply those profiles to a new archive.
No Pro Version and is pretty expensive. It has various unwanted additional features. Compression speed can be faster. It creates only a few types of archives.
This is yet another file archiving tool. It does offer a file manager tool to organize and find files on the computer. It can open 175+ file formats.
Open: 001, 002, 7Z, ACE, AIR, APK, APM, APPV, ARC, ARJ, BALZ, BSZ, BZ, BZ2, BZIP2, CAB, CB7, CBA, CBR, CBT, CBZ, CDDX, CHI, CHM, CHQ, CHW, CPIO, CRX, CSPKG, DEB, DLL, DMG, DOC, DOCX, DOT, DOTX, DWFX, EAR, EPUB, EXE, FAMILYX, FAT, FDIX, FLA, FLV, GNM, GZ, GZIP, HFS, HXI, HXQ, HXW, IMA, IMAGE, IMF, IMG, IPA, IPSW, ISO, JAR, JTX, KMZ, LHA, LIT, LPAQ1, LPAQ5, LPAQ8, LZH, LZMA, LZMA86, MAFF, MBR, MDF, MPP, MSI, MSLZ, MSP, MSU, NTFS, NUPKG, ODB, ODF, ODG, ODM, ODP, ODS, ODT, OTG, OTH, OTP, OTS, OTT, OXPS, OXT.
PAK, PAQ8F, PAQ8JD, PAQ8L, PAQ8O, PART1, PCV, PEA, PET, PK3, PK4, POT, PPS, PPT, PPTX, PUP, QUAD, R00, R01, RAR, RMSKIN, RPM, STAR, SEMBLIO, SFS, SLP, SMPK, SMZIP, SPLIT, SQUASHFS, STC, STD, STI, STW, SWF, SWM, SXC, SXD, SXG, SXI, SXM, SXW, SYS, TAR, TAZ, TB2, TBZ, TBZ2, TBZIP, TBZIP2, TGZ, TPZ, TXZ, TZ, U3P, UDF, VHD, VSIX, WAL, WAR, WIM, WMZ, WRC, WSZ, XAR, XLS, XLSX, XLT, XLTX, XPI, XPS, XZ, Z, Z01, ZIP, ZIPX and ZPAQ.
Compress: 001, 7Z, ARC, BCM, BZ, BZ2, EXE, GZ, PEA, TAR, WIM, XZ, ZIP, ZST, and ZPAQ.
- The app is very intuitive and user-friendly, and also it is very well designed so that you can access the functions by right-clicking. Also, users can drag the files to the desktop icon to archive them.
- It can extract files quickly than other rival software. There are numerous options and can be used as archive software.
- Peazip offers various functions like extracting, creating, converting multiple archives at one go, splitting files, creating self-extracting archives (SFX).
- You can also find duplicate files, calculate hashes, etc. It supports two-step verification on new archives for greater security.
Setting up can be tough as there are many advanced options. The performance is slow when creating archives. There are also a few minor interface glitches.
The next best WinZip Alternative is Bandizip. It is a clean and completely free software to open and extract files from formats, like ZIP, RAR, etc.
Open: 7Z, ACE, AES, ALZ, ARJ, BH, BIN, BZ, BZ2, CAB, Compound(MSI), EGG, GZ, IMG, ISO, ISZ, LHA, LZ, LZH, LZMA, PMA, RAR, RAR5, SFX(EXE), TAR, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TLZ, TXZ, UDF, WIM, XPI, XZ, Z, ZIP, ZIPX, ZPAQ, ZSTD, BR, NSIS.
Compress: ZIP, 7Z(lzma 2), ZIP(xz), EXE(sfx), TAR, TGZ, LZH(lh7), ISO(joliet), GZ and XZ.
- The software supports right-click integration, which you can customize. You can personalize the right-click options for creating archives and decompression.
- Bandizip supports a wide range of formats. Moreover, the program is very fast even when you create or decompress any archives.
- There is optional archive encryption using Zipcrypto and AES 256. And it also supports Unicode to support the international characters. And you can also bypass file using “High-Speed Archiving” that don’t compress.
- Drag and drop options, create self-extracting files, multi-volume archives. Above all, the software is very lightweight and uses Zip algorithms super quickly.
It has few bugs that need to be fixed. Also, it shows unclear instructions for how to encrypt a file. It is a slightly complicated process to open or create a compressed file.
Zipware is an impressive one on the list of best WinZip alternatives. It offers various functionalities for free. Moreover, it has a wide range of features and security benefits.
Open: ZIP, ZIPX, 7Z, RAR, RAR5, ISO, VHD, MSI, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, DEB, DMG, LZH, LZMA, LZMA2, PPMd, NSIS, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR, XPI, CBR, CBZ, XZ, Z.
Compress: ZIP, 7-ZIP, EXE. (Create self-extracting and split/multi-volume archives).
- It offers an intuitive interface and one-click options for extraction and archiving. You can change the background colors, and it supports multiple languages. Thereby you can customize the program.
- There is a drag and drop feature. Zipware features integrate with windows explorer, thereby offering convenient right-click functionalities that make it easy to open or create archives.
- It supports various file formats, and also support to convert any existing formats to a new one. This even offers AES-256 encryption and also ZipCrypto encryption to secure the files.
- It also features a password manager, virus TotalProtection with bolstering security along with file explorer.
Some advanced features are missing. There is no archive repair feature. It doesn’t track vulnerabilities on archive files above 32 GB and not suitable for those who use it for bulk or heavy files.
6. Ashampoo ZIP
This is yet another one of the best WinZip alternatives that offer both free and pro services. The app comes with a flashy interface making this program a user-friendly one.
Open: RAR, ZIPX, ARJ, ARC, ACE, MSI, NSIS, CHM, DMG, RPM, CPIO, VHD, XAR, LZMA, LZH, SquashFS, CramFS, Z, ZOO, WIM plus ISO, (ISO9660 and UDF).
Compress: ZIP, 7-ZIP, CAB, TAR, TAR, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2, TAR.XZ, and LHA formats.
Cost: Free, Pro Version – $39.99
- Free versions support all the important formats. It includes 30+ different formats. The drag and drop feature is available, and the add button lets you add files and folders that you wish to add to an archive.
- The user interface is intuitive and supports a fast 64 bit/ multi-core compression engine and a customizable shell menu editor.
- Moreover, it also offers an archive repair tool, creates self unpacking archives (.exe format). It also supports MS Office or PDF file encryption, compression along with a very powerful archiving or backup tool.
- It can mount ISO as VHD and rips DVDs to ISO files. Above all, this more reliable and easy-to-use software along with an intuitive and user-friendly interface.
Fewer advanced features are missing. Compared with the free programs, this seems expensive. Sometimes, the interface slightly clutters.
Related: Best File Manager for Chromebook
The next best on the list of WinZIP alternatives is jZip. It is a free file extractor program that can extract files from the most used archive formats.
Open: 7Z, ARJ, BZ2, BZIP2, CAB, CHI, CHM, CHQ, CHW, CPIO, DEB, DOC, EXE, GZ, GZIP, HXI, HXQ, HXR, HXS, HXW, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIT, LZH, MSI, PPT, RAR, RPM, SWM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TPZ, WIM, XLS, XPI, Z and ZIP.
Compress: 7Z, BZ2, GZ, TAR, and ZIP.
- The user interface is straightforward to use and very intuitive. There wouldn’t be any odd ads or popup windows. Moreover, the program integrates with the right-click menu option.
- You can create password-protected files and compatible with Zip2.0 encryption or 256-bit AES encryption. And you are allowed to create desktop shortcuts for the files open in jZip.
- The program supports multiple languages. It checks archives for errors and automatically updates new programs update.
- jZip shows the compression ratio for each file within an archive that allows you split it into multiple parts based on the size.
It will automatically add its own website links to the archived files. And it offers multiple third party programs such as toolbars, internet explorer, etc.
B1 free archiver is the best WinZip alternative. It is a freeware compression utility that works on multiple platforms. The interface will be similar to all other programs that make the program more intuitive.
Open: ZIP, RAR, 7Z, ZIPX, B1, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2, XPI, ARJ, CAb, DEB, gzip, TGZ, ISO, LZH, LHA, LZMA, RPM, TAR, XAR, DMG.
Compress: Only ZIP and B1 Format.
- This program is 100% free, and you don’t have to register and use it on any device. Moreover, the app is available for all platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android.
- It also works with split and password-protected archives and also serves as a perfect file manager program.
- The B1 Free archiver is extremely simple to use, and the program is very intuitive. You can start using the app right away after installing it. And it works fast even with the large archives and many files.
- Above all, the program is very safe and secured with high safety standards and privacy protection features. It doesn’t gather any personal info or wouldn’t install malicious software.
It supports only fewer formats when compared to other archive programs. And it comes with unwanted components. It doesn’t keep track of the last selection. Comparatively, fewer formats are only being supported.
The next on the list of the best WinZip alternatives is the PowerArchiver. Power Archiver can compress, encrypt, exchange, and even backup your data. It supports 60+ formats, including ZIP, ZIPX, 7Z, RAR, TAR, etc. It has its own.PA format that offers the strongest possible compression.
And it also supports FIPS 140-2 validated 256-bit AES encryption. You can also access 6 different cloud services without the installation of the software. It costs $22.95 for the Standard version, $49.95 for the Toolbox version, and the Professional version costs $34.95. There is multi-volume pricing too.
ZipGenius is yet another best WinZip alternative that is very easy to use. It is accessible even for a non-professional user. It is completely free software. This is one of the most powerful software that supports more than 20 compressed file types. You can also browse a CD/DVD, ISO images.
Many features of this program are automatic. And you can protect your files with the CZIP encryption system included in ZipGenius. This program has been in the market since 1997. ZipGenius doesn’t have fancy features, and it does fulfill the basic archive needs.
3. Extract Now
It is a simple utility software without any fancy features and allows the users to extract multiple archives easily. Extract Now has got a simple and intuitive user interface and also supports major archive formats. It also integrates with the Windows explorer through file types associations and context menus.
The program also supports multiple languages and also offers advanced customization options through Lua scripting. You can also search through folders recursively for archives and use passwords to list and find the correct password for an archive. Moreover, the program can totally control the archives during and even after the extraction.
Hamster Zip Archivers allows you to easily compress and open files from almost all types of archive formats. It is a powerful and very modern intuitive archive program. Hamster also offers cloud technologies that allow users to create copies of important files so that it makes it easier for you to share the images faster in just 2 clicks. It is a completely free program.
You can upload archives to various cloud services and drives. It also allows you to share files with friends so easily and comes with a file manager. The program also supports various file formats for both open and compressing purposes. And this program offers a high compression ratio.
Solid Explorer is a simple yet better and stronger WinZip Alternatives. It is file archive software with a neat and clean user interface. Solid Explorer is so powerful that it creates encrypted zip and 7zip archives. It supports formats like ZIP, 7Zip, RAR, TAR.GZ, and TAR.BZ2 archives.
This program also comes with a file explorer and manager that will categorize all the files on your system into photos, audio, videos, and documents. Solid Explorer will assist you in system-level operations like changing permissions, editing configuration files, and much more and also offers you rich customization features.
Related: Best Password Manager for Android
It is another on the list of the best WinZip alternatives. iZARC is the best free file compression utility software that supports various formats. The program offers an intuitive and easy to use interface that supports the most compressed and encoded files. iZARC comes with the set of the most powerful features and tools.
It allows you to create and extract archives directly from the Windows explorer as it integrates with Windows. Moreover, you can create multiple archives, spanning disks, self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, convert the formats, etc. This program is 100% virus-free.
Zip Extracteoris also a free file extractor designed especially for opening files in Google Drive and Gmail. You can open any ZIP file of your choice, unzip them, view, and download the files. And the app also supports various file formats for both opening and compressing purposes.
8. CAM UnZip
We have got another best WinZip alternatives called CAM Unzip. This program allows you to ZIP and unzip files for free and also easily. Cam Unzip allows you to create, organize, list, view all the archives. It also allows you to create, add or remove any files easily and quickly.
It also offers a command-line interface that allows you to run batch files and other programs. So that the program can take complete control of zipping and unzipping process. It also comes in a portable version so that you can use it even without installation. And recently added encrypted password-protected ZIP file formats.
The Unarchiver is yet another WinZip alternatives but only available for the macOS. Though Mac offers its own utility program, the Unarchiver offers few other additional features, and simultaneously, this also supports various file formats. This particular program on the mac is very simple and easy to use.
The archive and RAR extractor features save more time and help you avoid various extraction errors and unknown format alerts. The program can be installed so easily, and it is capable of reading various foreign characters too. Above all, all these functionalities come for free.
It is the best file compressor and optimizer software to replace WinZIP. NX Power Lite Desktop quickly compress various formats like PDF, PPT, Word, Excel, JPEG, PNG, and TIFF files. NX Power Lite program allows you to customize the desktop. Moreover, it does support batch compression so that you can compress 10,000 files at a time.
The compressed files stay in the same file format so, you can open the file even without this archive program. It can integrate with the windows and provide right-click options. The program is not so fancier, but then it does offer all the necessary features and functionalities. It costs $48.
All the above-mentioned software are just randomly ordered. Study carefully and choose the one that best suits your needs.