On Windows PC, you have the major advantage of pre-installed apps. Most of the essential apps like Internet Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft Store will be readily available. Likewise, most of the Google-made apps like Play Store, Play Music, Chrome browser will be installed on Chromebook. If you want to use Skype on Chromebook, you have to install the app manually.
Like your Android smartphones, Chromebook has the Play Store to install and manage apps. You can use the Play Store to use Skype on Chromebook or just visit the Skype website.
How to Install Skype for Chromebook using Play Store?
(1) Open the Play Store application on your Chromebook.
(2) Go to the Search bar and type the term Skype.
(3) Select the Skype app on the search results.
(4) Click the Install button on the next screen.
(5) The app will be installed. Tap the Open button to launch the app.
(6) Sign in with your Microsoft account.
(7) Start calling your friends via Skype.
How to Use Skype for Chromebook using Web Browser?
If you want to use Skype for emergency purposes. you can use this method.
(1) Open the Chrome browser on your Chromebook.
(2) Go to the Skype website and sign in with your Microsoft account.
(3) The UI of the webpage may slightly vary from the app’s UI, but all the functions are the same.
(4) Make a video or audio call to your friend on Skype.
Use Skype for Chromebook: Linux Version
Some of the Linux-based apps will work with Chromebooks without any issues. Skype is one of them. If you want, you can install Skype for Linux on your Chromebook.
(1) Go to the Skype website and navigate to the Downloads section.
(2) Tap the Get Skype for Linux DEB button.
(3) On the next pop-up, tap the Install button.
(4) Open the Linux app and start calling your friends.
Related: How to Copy and Paste on Chromebook
Note: When asking for video and audio permissions, tap the Allow button.
Three different ways to use the Skype application on Chromebook. Install the app from the Play Store or the Linux app on your Chromebook. For emergency purposes, use the web browser to connect with your friends. Share your Skype experience in the comments below.