In Windows OS, when you use any Ping commands on Command Prompt, it will show you information regarding the network connection. But sometimes, you will get Ping General Failure or Ping Transmit Failed: General Failure warning. If your PC doesn’t have the standard internet protocol. If you are getting Ping errors, it can be easily troubleshot by running some simple commands in Command Prompt.
Standard Ping Command
The standard and proper Ping command should be ping with the website or IP address.
ping www.techplip.com or ping 172.16.254.1
How to Fix Ping General Failure?
Ping General Failure can be resolved in three ways. You can use either the Command Prompt or the Control Panel Settings to resolve the error.
- Changing TCP/IP Version
- Resetting TCP/IP
- Disabling IP
Fix Ping General Failure by Changing TCP/IP Version
1. Open the Control Panel on your PC.
2. Click the Network and Internet option.
3. On the next screen, click the View network status and tasks under the Network and Sharing Center.
4. Next to Connections, the WiFi network you are connected to will appear. Click on it.
5. The WiFi Status window will appear. Click the Properties button.
6. Now, the WiFi Properties window will appear. Scroll down and ensure that TCP/IPv6 and TCP\IPv4 are enabled. Click the OK button.
Fix Ping General Failure by Resetting TCP\IP
(1) Open the Command Prompt with admin settings. Right-click on the Windows logo and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
(2) Type and execute the command,
netsh i i r r
3. To complete the action, you need to restart your PC.
4. After the restart, open the Command Prompt with admin settings again and execute the command.
netsh winsock reset
5. Restart your PC to make the changes. After the restart, the TCP/IP settings on your PC will be reset.
If you still getting Ping Failure, you can try this final solution.
(1) Open the Command Prompt with admin settings and execute the commands one by one.
netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
netsh interface teredo set state disable
(2) Restart your PC whenever it is asked. After executing all these commands, you won’t get the Ping error on your PC.
Try resolving the Ping failure with these three solutions. Make sure that you are typing the Ping command without any spelling mistakes or without any changes in the IP address. If you have any specific issues with your Windows PC, tell us in the comments section. We will give you a solution.